Cedar Shake Shingles Life Expectancy
Buildings throughout the world use cedar shakes to construct roofs with high-durability and a rustic appeal. Homeowners and business owners alike find the roofing material beneficial, and they are not incorrect; cedar shake roofing offers plenty of advantages.
If you are unfamiliar with this material, you might wonder how long a cedar shake roof lasts. Our roofing experts at Nelson Contracting in Lincoln, Nebraska, have the answers for you below, but if you have more concerns, call us today at (402) 464-2418.
Benefits of a Cedar Shake Roof
With so many roofing options available, finding the best material for a new construction or roof replacement can be challenging. Many property owners turn to cedar shakes because:
- Aesthetics: This roofing material has plenty of warm color tones like browns, reds, and amber. It is a worthwhile option if you want to increase your building’s curb appeal and value.
- Installation Options: Cedar roofing is available as shingles or shakes. Shingles will give a classic, uniform appearance to the roof, while shakes will make the home or business look more rugged due to their rough texture.
- Versatility: Cedar shake roofing complements various architectural styles, including everything from coastal buildings to mountain-side cabins.
- Eco-Friendly: Because cedar shakes are natural materials, this roofing is biodegradable and fully sustainable.
Durability of Cedar Shake Roofing
One of the most significant advantages of cedar shake roofing is its durability. In comparison to other roofing materials, cedar shakes are more weather-resistant. They can withstand harsh winds, snow, torrential rain, and hurricane conditions with minimal issues.
The durability of cedars shakes allows them to stay intact and protect the roof longer than other materials, saving property owners money from frequent repairs or replacements. This material owes much of its durability to natural preservatives included in the shakes’ makeup to protect it against moisture and decay.
How Long Does a Cedar Shake Roof Last?
Cedar shake roofing’s durability allows it an average lifespan of about 30 years. With adequate maintenance, the lifespan can increase to 50 years. Its longevity exceeds other roofing materials like asphalt shingles.
The lifespan of a cedar roof depends primarily on its installation. Contractors who understand how to work with this material know the best ways to treat, seal, and install the shakes to provide premium protection against the elements. Despite this benefit, there are factors you should consider before installing a cedar roof.
Factors Affecting Lifespan of Cedar Shake Roofing
Warranties for cedar shake roofs can range from 15 to 30 years by the manufacturer. The warranty gives property owners some protection by way of reimbursement if their product fails within the period set by their documentation.
Not all cedar shake roofs are equal; the roofers’ chosen materials play a significant role in the installation’s success. Follow all contractor recommendations for cedar shakes to ensure the material’s quality offers superior protection against the elements. You should also make sure your insurance company approves the roofing materials.
The location of the building is another factor in the longevity of a cedar roof. Winters can be harsh on Nebraska roofs because they often bring heavy snow and frigid temperatures. The wood shakes will contract and expand during extreme temperature changes, ultimately cracking the material.
Proper roof maintenance is the best way to ensure your cedar shake roof will last for a lifetime. Routine maintenance includes:
- Regularly clearing leaves, twigs, and other debris from the roof and gutters to prevent moisture from seeping into the roof’s crevices
- Trimming overhanging tree branches so that they don’t scratch the roof’s surface
- Adding chemical treatments to prevent moss or mold from growing on the shakes
We Install & Repair Cedar Shake Roofs & Siding
With Nelson Contracting in Lincoln, NE, there’s no need to wonder how long does a cedar shake roof last. Our exceptional team of roofers use premium products and adhere to the highest industry standards to install, repair, or replace cedar shake roofs. We also install maintenance-free synthetic cedar shake shingles that are the ultimate alternative to wood. Call (402) 464-2418 today to schedule an appointment with our team.